How to dispose of bulk trash

Bulk trash collections must be scheduled in advance of your collection day for County-provided trash service.

What is bulk trash?

Some rules-of-thumb are that bulk trash is

  • an item that doesn’t fit in a trash can or trash bag
  • a single large item from home remodeling (examples: a door, a cabinet)
  • large non-metal items like furniture, carpet, and mattresses
  • 5 or more bags or cans of trash

We accept these general item types as bulk trash. If you have an item to be collected that is not on this list, please call 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850)

  • Non-metal furniture (sofas, bookcases, etc.)
  • Rugs and carpet (please roll and tie)
  • Mattresses and box springs
  • Large non-metal toys
  • Mirrors or glass table tops that have been covered with newspaper and taped to prevent breakage
  • Bathroom fixtures (non-metal tubs, sinks, toilets)
  • Single items from minor home repair (wood door, bathroom vanity). We do not collect items generated from major home remodeling, demolition or construction.
  • Plastic trash cans

Who collects my bulk trash?

If your trash is provided by Your bulk trash disposal instructions are
Montgomery County Request a bulk trash collection from us. You are eligible to receive five bulk trash collections each calendar year.
private subscription or a municipality (not Montgomery County) Contact your trash collector. (Some private collectors may charge additional fees to collect bulk trash.)

Or, bring the item(s) to the Shady Grove Transfer Station and Processing Facility. Dispose of loads of trash under 500 pounds at no charge.
you're not sure who provides your trash service Check who provides your trash service with our Collection Day Lookup tool. Or, call 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850).

How do I request a Montgomery County-provided bulk trash pickup?

  1. Make an itemized list of the non-metal items you want us to pick up. (See details about scrap metal recycling for metal items.)
  2. Request your bulk trash collection
    Request your collection this way by this deadline for pickup on your next trash collection day
    online form (Click "Create Service Request" button) 11:59 p.m. on the day before your collection day
    call 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850) 7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day

    If you request your pick up after the deadline, we'll collect your bulk items the following week on your trash collection day.
  3. Disassemble extremely large bulk items. At least one side of the item must be less than 4 feet wide. Items with all sides larger than 4 feet will not fit in our collection truck, so we will not collect them. Example: pianos
  4. On your collection day, separate your bulk trash items from any regular household trash, recyclables, yard trim and scrap metal you set out for pickup.
  5. Set all of your bulk trash items, regular household trash, recycling, yard trim, and scrap metal the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.

How do I cancel a scheduled bulk trash pickup?

Call Montgomery County's Customer Service Center at 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850) by 7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day. Thank you for the courtesy call!

How many bulk pickups may I have?

If you receive Montgomery County-provided trash service, you may have 5 bulk trash pickups per calendar year.

What items are not accepted in bulk trash pickups?

  • Large items that are 51% or more metal, and won’t fit in a trash bag or can. Request a scrap metal recycling collection for these metal items.
  • Propane tanks
  • Uncovered glass mirrors/table tops
  • Hazardous materials
  • Debris generated from major construction, remodeling, demolition or repair work like bricks, concrete, lumber, non-metal fencing, shingles, drywall, paint, rock, sod, auto parts, non-metal kitchen cabinets, sheds and large dog houses, etc.
  • Large items that will not fit in our truck, or pose a safety hazard to our collectors
  • Human or animal fecal or uriniferous matter; infectious waste; dead animals

What do I do with bulk trash items unacceptable for curbside pickup?

County residents with proper ID may bring items not accepted for bulk trash collection to our Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station.

There is no disposal charge for each load of trash and/or bulk trash weighing less than 500 pounds, and delivered in privately-owned and operated vehicles, vans, and trailers.

The Transfer Station's fee schedule applies to commercial waste and loads over 500 pounds.

Tree stumps more than three feet in diameter, and large auto parts cannot be disposed of at the Transfer Station.

Have more questions about collection and disposal of bulk trash?

Call Montgomery County's Customer Service Center at 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850).

Search again
Division of Solid Waste Services - full site