How to recycle scrap metal
We accept scrap metal at no additional charge in our curbside recycling collection program and at the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station's scrap metal recycling drop-off.
Curbside scrap metal pickups must be scheduled in advance of your collection day.
What is scrap metal?
A rule-of-thumb is that scrap metal is any large item that is 51% or more metal.
What items are accepted as curbside scrap metal?
To qualify for curbside scrap metal collection, metal items must be larger than a trash bag or trash can.
Curbside scrap metal items may be up to 8 feet long. Longer items will not fit into the collection trucks.
We accept these general metal item types at the curb. If you have an item to be collected that is not on this list, please call 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850)
- large household appliances, including dishwashers, refrigerators, freezers, clothes washers, clothes dryers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, stoves, wall ovens, microwave ovens, etc.
- To prepare your refrigerator or freezer
- By law, you must remove the doors before setting refrigerators and freezers out at the curb for collection - we cannot accept units with doors still attached.
- Remove all contents from refrigerators/freezers.
- fencing, chain link and wire (rolled for easier collection) - more about fencing
- file cabinets
- iron furniture and railings
- Empty mower of all fuel and oil fluids. Remove batteries (if applicable) before placing your mower at the curb for pickup.
- metal sheds (must be disassembled)
- shower stalls
- aluminum lawn chairs
- sewing machines
- swing sets
- Swing sets must be disassembled and without concrete on legs.
- Automotive parts weighing less than 60 pounds
What items are accepted at the Transfer Station?
At the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station, we accept
- all of the items collected in our curbside scrap metal recycling program
- metal items of any size. Examples include
- screws, nails, and other hardware
- pots and pans
- wire clothes hangers - more about hangers
- other small household metal items
- riding mowers, drained of oil and gas
- items which are oversized for curbside collection
Bring your items to the scrap metal recycling drop-off, located in the Recycling area. There is no charge for delivering scrap metal items.
How do I request a Montgomery County-provided scrap metal pickup?
- Make an itemized list of the large metal items you want us to pick up.
- Request your scrap metal recycling collection
|Request your collection this way
||by this deadline for pickup on your next recycling collection day
|online form (Click "Create Service Request" button)
||11:59 p.m. on the day before your collection day
|call 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850)
||7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day
If you request your pick up after the deadline, we'll collect your scrap metal items the following week on your recycling collection day.
- Set your scrap metal items at the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling day.
Do not put your scrap metal items in your blue bin.
Keep scrap metal items separated from trash.
How do I cancel a scheduled scrap metal collection?
Call Montgomery County's Customer Service Center at 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850) by 7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day. Thank you for the courtesy call!
How many scrap metal recycling pickups may I have?
You may receive an unlimited number of scrap metal recycling pickups per calendar year.
What items are not accepted in any of our scrap metal programs?
- Vehicles or automotive parts, weighing more than 60 pounds
- These items are generally accepted by automobile parts recyclers or automobile wrecking and salvage businesses.
- latex paint or oil-based paint cans
- Oxygen or propane tanks, or other containers under pressure